After pour day, we decided to re-pour this year’s canoe with a better reinforcement product, as the reinforcement led to the canoe being much thicker than we had designed. But we’re saving this first canoe for practice! Here it is, fresh out of the mold:
Our 2014 practice canoe, fresh out of the mold, with the construction team.
Yes, it’s so smooth, it’s shiny!
Yeah, that happened. Lesson learned: test the setup small-scale before attempting on a 400-pound concrete canoe. Because in our case, the concrete ended up bonding to our foam mold, resulting in some headaches. (Video is 4-8x natural speed).
We just finished removing the canoe from the mold. Well, really we removed the mold from the canoe, since our foam release agent didn’t work so the concrete adhered to the foam. But after a couple of days of chiseling, hot-wiring, sawing, prying, clawing, begging, pleading, hoping, praying, rolling-around-in-foam-on-the-floor, and yielding sheer manpower, we’re (basically) done! Now we just need to patch, sand, stain, beautify, etc…